Friday, October 10, 2008

Now a proud member of the "Gou-crew"!




On jaaraama!

I know it hasn't been very long since my last email, but I've been fortunate enough to get to the Internet twice in the past several days, and a lot of amazing stuff has happened that I wanted to report.
Probably the most exciting thing of all is that I just finished my trip to Kedougou, the region of Africa which I will ultimately be living in, where I got to shadow a current volunteer in the region and basically meet a lot of the people I'll be working with for the next two years; plus have one hell of an adventure! Needless to say, despite taking about 12 hours to get their from the training center, Kedougou is one of the most beautiful areas in all of Senegal, and I can now report that it's not just all hype; there's rolling hills, mountains, it's GREEN, and on the way there we needed to brake for monkeys about a dozen times.
It was awesome to actually see the Peace Corps regional house, which is the most rustic in the country being more village-style than house-style, and to finally have a feel for what I'm in for. We've also begun to develop some regional pride among the other volunteers as member of the "Gou-crew", arguably the most rugged and hard-working group of volunteers. It also doesnt hurt that the Country Director is our senior staff advisor and will be working closely with us to meet our goals as a region. It's nice to know that we have so much support amongst each other as volunteers since Kedougou is one of the most collaborative regions, which kind of debunks the myth of living along for 2 years talking only to villagers (though there will be plenty of that). I did get a bit of advice from the CD though to make sure I don't get "too skinny", because I'll be biking a ton and be in really good shape, but getting too thin can lead to illness, and I'm the most isolated site in-country, pretty much. I'm wicked excited!
I mentioned an adventure, and that is in fact what we got, even by current volunteer terms. One day, we went in a group of shadowers and shadowees to the biggest waterfall in the country, which required a 10k bike through the bush! It's so secret and secluded we were the only people there, we swam in and around the falls, hiked to the top, and camped out overnight! I have some amazing pictures which will tell the story of our trip much better once I have an opportunity to upload them.
I'm pretty short on time, so I can't get into detail about how incredible and challenging the last week has been, but hopefully I've painted a decent picture. If not, don't worry, I'm sure you'll be hearing from me again sometime soon.

One more thing; I was able to get my mailing address for the regional house, which will be where to send anything you might want to mail me for the rest of my stay in Senegal. I only have four more weeks of training, and it's not guaranteed that anything mailed in the near future would make it to me in time before swearing in and moving to Kedougou.

My mailing address in Kedougou:

PCV Steve Sullivan
B.P. 37
Kedougou, Senegal
West Africa

There's just one P.O. Box for all the Kedougou volunteers, and someone usually just stops by and grabs the mail for everyone periodically.

Also, many people have graciously offered to send me things, so here is a mini-"Wish List", based on some recommendations from current Volunteers about what's good to have:

Vitamin Supplements, esp. Omega 3 Fatty Acids, Electrolytes, Pro-Biotics
Cereals
Protein, i.e. peanut butter, protein bars, etc.
Granola Bars
Drink mixes, i.e. Gatorade, Kool-Aid, Crystal Light, etc. (the individual packets work best)
Batteries (AA and AAA)
Candy!
Other "American" type snacks

Of course, all these things are mainly "nice to haves", or things to supplement my diet since I won't be getting everything I need in the village, most likely.

Thanks again to everyone for all your love and support!

Naade Goo (another day),

Steve "Adraman" Sullivan
Pics: Handstand pic on watertower in Thiokoy, the falls themselves, roasting "Spam" over an open fire, the guy who had to canoe our bikes across the river, and the picture of me in front of the falls that I couldn't get rotated, so just cock your head to the side.

P.S. "Adraman" is subject to change based on what my ultimate host-family decides to name me.

No comments: